Pete Olson - High Desert Region President
Here we are, November… We experienced a fantastic, eventful & fun 2015, now it’s time to look forward to 2016!
Let’s make 2016 the “Best Year Ever”!
How do we do this? Well… all HDR members are invited to attend the HDR Annual Meeting & 2016 “event planning” session at Club Carrera on Saturday November 7th @ 9:00 AM. (hey… coffee & donuts!!) We are looking forward to your active involvement in both the “planning” and “implementation” of numerous 2016 HDR activities. Have no fear… it’s fun & rewarding!
This meeting will also be an opportunity for you to learn a bit more about how our HDR Porsche Club functions.
October wrapped up our 2015 HDR driving season, with several events!
- October 3rd: This was our final Arrive & Drive, organized by Tim Hagner. We headed west and came back to Bend via McKenzie Pass. The tour ended at German Master Tech in Bend for a look at some collectible Porsches. Thanks Tim!
- October 11th: Just for a change of pace, I ventured over to Boise, ID to participate in the Silver Sage Porsche Club’s annual “OctoberFast” show, held at Meridian Village. There were 108 Porsches on display on the streets, among the shops of the village. A great event! The following day I took the opportunity to drive the winding road up to the Bogus Basin Ski Area. This is the road of the annual Bogus Basin “Hill Climb” which some of our HDR members have entered in past years.
- October 17th: Then… The Oregon Covered Bridges Tour! Organized and lead by Greg & Polly Snyder, Joe Mansfield & Lisa McCarthy. It was a beautiful fall day, with an occasional shower or two, as 20 Porsches spirited our HDR club members over the mountains. And then… there we were, in the “beautiful” Central Oregon Valley, eager to be treated to the beauty of 7 unique & historic covered bridges. Lunch break was at the Iris Winery, high on the hills overlooking their vineyards. Then, after some winding country roads, and a few more covered bridges, we settled in at the Eugene Valley River Inn. Everyone was ready to enjoy an evening of friendly chatter and a wonderful dinner! Thanks for the memories!
- October 21st: Ahh… Our Wednesday evening HDR Social, with “lots” of “German Style” food! I believe that we had record attendance, with over 70 members enjoying the evening. And, no one went away hungry!
- October 24th: The grand finale… Highway 20 roadside clean-up, led by John & Eleanor Donohue. We came up with 20 bags full, some fuller than others. Our previous clean-up was in May, and it’s quite impressive that we found a relatively small amount of litter that had accumulated since then. A true testament to the pride & care exercised by our Central Oregon citizens. Thanks to John, Eleanor & the team! John & Eleanor had so much fun hosting this event, they indicated they would do it again next spring! Thanks!
Looking forward… we have our Wednesday November 18th Social event @ Club Carrera (Thanksgiving dinner I am told)… Looking back over the year, I’d say that we have “tons” to be thankful for!
Then, on Sunday December 6th, we have our HDR Holiday Dinner @ Bend Country Club, which also includes a silent auction. This auction provides an opportunity to obtain donation funding for:
- Scholarship support to COCC Automotive students
- High School Drivers Ed students in the Bend – La Pine School District, for “skid school” training (learning to drive on ice, snow & wet roads)
Check our HDR website, and your e-mail for “details” regarding how to register for this Holiday event…
That’s it for now!
Enjoy your Porsche & Porsche Friends Even More!